Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Books I've Loved: The Diviners



I just started reading the sequel to this one, so I thought I'd post here about how much I loved the first book in the series.  First up, it's set in the 1920s which has to be my favorite era.  I love the freedom people had in that time (or thought they had) and how women blossomed with it. This book beautifully evokes the time with its slang and nightlife and obsessions with the occult.

It's also a great supernatural story with a spunky heroine at its center.  Surrounding her are a cast of beautifully drawn, unique characters each with their own story to explore.  Which is why, of course, the book is over 600 pages long.  But it doesn't feel long.  Every story and tangent has a point and a place in the narrative and the mystery and intrigue ramps up and up until the explosive finale that will leave you breathless.

It's really a very good book.  Fingers crossed the sequel proves as compelling.

If you don't believe me, here's the blurb:

Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.

5 comments:

  1. It does appear to be an engaging read judging from that review. Thank you for sharing and greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good! I don't think I've ever read a book taking place in that era, and this one looks like a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my Dad would've preferred it if I'd finished my law degree before heading to drama school, but never once have my parents tried to stop me from doing what I love to do. دانلود

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, without further ado, here are the winners of the first annual Couch Potato Club Movie Awards. AFDAH

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing that I liked about it was the story. It never seemed to have a dull moment. It always kept me wanting more. I loved the fact that while watching this movie I felt a warm feeling inside. Anyone who has ever been in love knows exactly what I am talking about. what movie to watch

    ReplyDelete