Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Insecure Writers Support Group - August


It's the first Wednesday of the month so it's time for the Insecure Writers Support Group!

The awesome co-hosts for the August 7 posting of the IWSG are Feather Stone, Kim Lajevardi, Diedre Knight, C. Lee McKenzie, and Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen!

And here's this month's question:

Do you use AI in your writing and if so how? Do you use it for your posts? Incorporate it into your stories? Use it for research? Audio?

For me, the answer is no.  I have dabbled a bit with AI but ultimately have not found it at all useful in terms of creative writing.  From my perspective, it seems to be useful for things that can be templated, like business letters, job descriptions or health and safety plans, not anything that requires creativity.  And even then, I find a lot of what gets spat out needs a lot of work to get it to a point where it's useable.

I did play around with trying to get it to write a story using the daily writing prompt from the writing website I use, but the story it came up with was incomplete, badly written and very uninteresting.  I didn't even feel like adding to it or re-writing it would make it into something that I'd be happy putting my name on.  And doing that would probably have taken me longer than writing a 1,000 word story from scratch.  I generally give myself half an hour a day to write these prompt-based 1,000 word stories and I feel like it would take me way longer to fix an AI-generated one.  And where's the fun in that, anyway?

Writing is something I do for pleasure.  It's my creative outlet.  Why would I let a computer do it for me?  It would take all the joy out of the writing process for me.

If there is a good way to use AI for writing-related stuff, I'd be interested in knowing what it is.  So if you are successfully using it in some way, I'd like to know what it is...

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Al is not good for creative writing. I think it could be useful for synopsis, book jacket, outlines, loglines, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My significant other has used AI to help with software engineering-related things. He's found it useful. I, on the other hand, stay as far away from it as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, they really didn't plan out what people would actually want to use AI for when they launched it. A little market research goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no good part to generative AI. Even if it didn't steal work to exist, it uses so much energy that it pollutes the world. It's awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone once gave me an outline of a plot for one of mystery novels. Because of the circumstances, I went with it and am glad I did, but it was the hardest story to write because I had to start from scratch with building the story and characters in my own mind.
    That's how I feel about AI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Kate: Re AI, I too love to write so why give away that pleasure. I have been working on my family ancestry using a family tree maker program and its book maker app. It produces a composition that highlights each family ancestor's life story. Even so, I have to go into the produced report and fix wording. It has saved me a lot of time to write repetitive reports. Not sure if that is 'using AI" as I haven't found a writing definition that I understand. Blessings

    ReplyDelete