Thursday, August 15, 2024

Celebrate the Small Things 16-8-24





It's the end of the week, so it's time to Celebrate the Small Things...

What am I celebrating this week?

It's the weekend!

I have a few things on, but not too much, so I'm hoping to dive back into A Stranger to Kindness.  At least for a few hours.

It's been a busy week.  On Monday I went to the 30th anniversary screening of Heavenly Creatures.  I was at the premiere at the Embassy in 1994 (I worked for the Film Festival then and it was the opening night film) so it was fun to be back there, 30 years later, to see it again.  Peter Jackson was there and spoke before the film, then ended up sitting right in front of me.  It was almost as much fun watching him watch the film as it was watching the film!

One of my colleagues in in a local production of We Will Rock You, so a bunch of us went to see the preview on Wednesday night.  Seriously, what a dumb show!  Great music, but the story makes no sense.  But I guess it's hard to make sense when you're writing a story to fit a bunch of well known songs into.  The performers were great and it was awesome to see Hannah in all her different wigs and costumes, singing and dancing her heart out.  It didn;t emotionally move me at all, but I did laugh a few times and it was super high energy.

And last night I went to the orchestra to hear a Russian violinist play one of Sibelus' violin concertos.  Quite wonderful.

So it has been a busy week!  We also went on sale with the Jazz Festival and farewelled two colleagues at work.  Our team is getting very small again....

I got one more rejection for Guide Us this week.  I really don't know what is up with this one.  I haven't had a single request, yet I've had the queryand opening pages critiqued by professional editors and agents three times now, and they all assure me they are great.  But... crickets.  I've never had such a terrible response rate from queries.  I mean, I know it's been a few years since I last queried, but this is seriously worrying.

My younger son is in a play this weekend and I'm going to get to go and see him act for the first time.  He's been doing drama all the way through high school, but none of his productions have been open to the public before because of COVID restrictions.  So finally, in his last year, we're going to get to see him.

I start my official training to be a spin instructor next week, so I'm going to need to spend a bit of time this weekend learning the last couple of tracks so I can run through a whole class (if needed - I think I'm probably only going to need to do the first two or three in my training session).

And that's about me... I've had a busy week - been out almost every night, so looking forward to having a bit of downtime.

What are you celebrating this week?

1 comment:

  1. From what I hear, barely any query is being acknowledged these days. I don't mean like years ago, where it was barely, but still happened. I mean a small sliver of a percentage of THAT. With all the chaos in publishing and now AI into the mix, publishers are barely publishing.

    ReplyDelete