Thursday, August 8, 2024

Celebrate the Small Things 9-8-24



It's the end of the week, so it's time to Celebrate the Small Things...

What am I celebrating this week?

It's the weekend!

I have a busy one ahead with several films in the Festival.  I've also picked up a new gig and will soon be teaching spin classes at my gym, so I need to learn the choreo for the first one I've been given to learn.  I think I'm on top of the first two tracks, but need to learn the rest.  Luckily the class I've been given is one that was on rotation recently, so I pretty much remember doing it.  It's the brand new ones that I think will be more of a challenge for me.  But we'll see....

Now, films I've seen this week?  Not so many, actually.  Just two.

Didi, which was a surprisingly funny and poignant story about a teenage skater kid in (I think) California and his experience growing up in an Asian immigrant family in the early 2000s.  It really illustrated the challenges that come with not only growing up and dealing with puberty, but the added challenge of navigating two very different cultures and sets of expectations at the same time.

Then I saw Head South, which is a local film I read the script for a number of times while working at the Film Commission.  It's about the punk music scene in Christchurch in the late '70s and felt so, so familiar in a lot of ways even though I didn't grow up in Christchurch and was a little too young for punk in the '70s (my punk years were in the mid '80s).  There were so many beautiful moments of Kiwiness in there that anyone who grew up here in that period would recognise.  And some really great music too!  Enjoyed it very much.

I have another 6 films to see in the next few days, and then the Festival is over for another year.  It's a short one this year.  But I'm not going to get a lot of time back.  I've somehow managed to get myself booked up every night next week too...  Not sure when I'm going to get any writing done.  Maybe the week after...

What are you celebrating this week?


1 comment:

  1. A spin class now? How do you find the energy? You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete