Tuesday, February 2, 2021

IWSG - February

It's the first Wednesday of the month which means it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group!

I really like this month's question!

Blogging is often more than just sharing stories. It’s often the start of special friendships and relationships. Have you made any friends through the blogosphere?

The short answer is yes.

I have so many friends I've met through blogging!  I've never met any of them in person, but some of them I feel as close to as any close friend.  In a way they're even more intimate than my close friends because I share my writing with some of these blogging friends. I have met some of my most trusted critique partners through blogging and bloggers are among the most valuable people I know when it comes to promoting and marketing new books.

I currently write for two blogs.  This one, which is my own, and Operation Awesome, a group blog for writers where I post once a week as agony aunt, Dear O'Abby.  Being part of a blogging team has been awesome (no pun intended) because the group are all writers at various stages of their careers and have a breadth of knowledge that can be shared among the group.

When I started writing seriously and started blogging, there seemed to be a lot more blogging activity.   There were a lot of competitions to enter which were always a good way to meet like-minded people, and a much larger community of blogging writers.  I guess as new platforms have been developed, people who once blogged have moved elsewhere, and as blogging is less in vogue, new writers are not necessarily starting blogs.  

Which is kind of a shame because I haven't found as supportive a writing community elsewhere. 

Have you made genuine friendships and connections through blogging?  Where else do you find like-minded writers to connect with?


7 comments:

  1. It's always nice to have a blogging community, especially those who are like minded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met quite a few writers through the blogosphere. As they're spread world-wide, I've met very few of them in real life, but I value every connection I make. There's so much knowledge to be gained from each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really know any writers before I joined the blogosphere. Some of them I've been friends with for over a decade now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many blogs today are nothing but an unending stream of advertisements. It's great to find the ones where the writers are actually writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made life long friendships through the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I count you as a blogging friend, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have noticed that blogging isn't talked about at large as much as it used to be. But as long as we keep our own blogging communities going though, such as IWSG, we should be okay.

    ReplyDelete