Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sad

We had to say goodbye last night to one of my staff at the cinema. She's been with us since 2008 and is leaving to go overseas to study. When she started working with me, she was fresh out of school, new to the city and excited about being there.

Over the last four years, I've watched her grow into herself. She's such a funny, caring person and makes workdays so entertaining. I'm going to miss her. My kids will miss her because she's also my go-to girl for babysitting. The rest of the staff will miss her too. Work just won't be the same without her. Who else will purchase a fluffy pink onesie, inspiring a work-wide pajama day?

It's made me think of all the others I've worked with over the years. Cinema workers tend to be transient. It's good work for students because the hours are flexible, but once university is over, most people want to move on to a 'real job'. But running the cinema is my real job, so I have to watch these people settle into my little world for a while, then leave as better opportunities beckon.

So today I'm feeling rather sad... I'll miss you Amie.

2 comments:

  1. I know how that feels. It seems like these days, especially with the kind of layoffs that come with my industry, that most jobs are just temporary. I have a handful of co-workers I've missed intensely when we've parted ways.

    So my sympathies to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww! You may have just made me have a little cry...

    ReplyDelete