Monday, March 5, 2012

The Lucky 7

I was going to write about how frantically busy I am this week, and how I don't have any time to write, but luckily for you, I discovered this blogfest instead....

Here are the rules:

1. Go to page 77 of your current MS.

2. Go to line 7.

3. Copy down the next 7 lines - sentences or paragraphs - and post them as they're written. No cheating.

4. Tag 7 authors.

5. Let them know.

Now, I'm not going to tag anyone because I know I'll keep picking on the same 7 writers over and over, but if you want to join in, please do! And let me know in the comments, okay? I want to see your work! Here's mine, from The Boyfriend Plague...

Mel jabbed me in the ribs with a pointed elbow. “Are you even listening?”

“Huh? What?” I hadn’t heard a word she’d said. I glanced around, realizing we’d almost reached the door to my homeroom. Where was Hannah? I searched the hallway, looking not just for her orange head, but for Sam’s blond one too. I knew they’d be together.

Mel stopped and stood with her hands on her hips, glaring at me. “I knew you weren’t listening. What’s up, Livvie?”

I shook my head. Did I want to go into it? With Mel? A week ago I wouldn’t have hesitated. “I’m just worried about Jules, okay? She’s not doing well.”

Mel’s face collapsed into a sympathetic expression sending a sudden pang of guilt across my gut.

The bell rang before she had a chance to say anything and I hustled into the classroom. “See you at lunch.”

But I didn’t go to lunch. Passing the art room, I caught sight of Bianca slipping through the door and followed her in. Despite her oddness, she was easier to be around than my friends. Their relentless excitement and cheer jarred me while Bianca’s aloofness soothed my prickly skin.

2 comments:

  1. I want to play!

    I like your 7. I want to know what's straining Livvie's relationship with Mel and why Bianca is a comfort to her. Your prose is easy to read and you have great little descriptions that help paint a picture. Nice stuff!

    Check out my 7:

    http://adamsapple2day.blogspot.com/2012/03/luck-7-writing-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, what a great idea for a fest! I liked your seven lines, too. Funny how it didn't seem totally out of place. It was a good excerpt :)

    ReplyDelete