Saturday, March 31, 2012

A is for... Author



I've been thinking about the word 'author' a lot recently. I'm not shy about telling people I'm a writer, but I have never used the word 'author' to describe what it is I do. And I'm wondering if I should. I am the author of all the books and stories I write. I am the author of this blog, if we get down to it.

Yet it's not a word I use for myself.

'Author' seems to imply something more than 'writer'. Perhaps an author is a published writer? But how do we categorize that? Is a self-published writer any more an author than a writer who is waiting to publish their work in a more traditional manner? Does the word author even have a place anymore, given anyone can publish whatever they like on their blog or in other online forums?

What do you think? Author or writer? Or are they actually the same thing?

And while we are talking about authors, one of my friends just became one! Check out her gorgeous cover here!

15 comments:

  1. I have been having this battle with myself as well. I tell everyone that I am a writer. I never say 'I am an author'. I guess I always associated 'Author' as published (in a Traditional manner.)

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
    A to Z Co-host
    www.a-to-zchallenge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I feel like author means published. I know that isn't necessarily true, but I don't use it about myself either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from the A - Z Challenge.

    I had never thought about 'author' of a blog - interesting thought. But I would consider someone who had written a book, self published or not, as an author and a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted about this not too long ago. Check it out:

    http://adamsapple2day.blogspot.com/2012/03/semantics-of-aspiring-author.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from the A to Z Challenge!
    I guess I always associated author with a published book. Good post. Makes one think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say writer but I feel like author is associated with a published work. Although you could say so and so authored a piece of writing, even if it is n't published.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always said writer, but once I publish, I'll use author.

    Happy A-Zing!

    My A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really interesting. I'd never considered that the idea of self-publishing does actually change my definition of author (someone who has sold work to an unrelated publisher). I've read and liked self-published books, so I don't mean that negatively.

    I'll have to think about this one. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting... Everyone seems to have the same general idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm. Had never thought of that. Probably since I'm not a writer. I like staying on the reading side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great first post. I've also had a hard time saying 'author' to describe me. I think author means someone who's published.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poets and book writers are authors; all the rest of us are writers. :) Nice to meet you A-Z challenger!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never thought about what truly differentiates an author from a writer. It's interesting to read different views. Great first post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. To me published fiction writers are authors, but in my head those who write non fiction are writers. It's a good question though, as I'd never really thought about it until I read this post!

    ReplyDelete