Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Not writing

I'm still not writing.  I'm tinkering.  Revising.  Playing with queries and synopses.  I'm beta reading and critiquing.

But I'm not writing.

And it feels weird.

I'm always working on something.  I always have more ideas than I know what to do with.  But right now, I feel like I'm tapped out.  I can't even imagine sitting in front of a blank document and starting again.  I don't feel like it's something I can do, even though the evidence is sitting on the shelf behind me - I've written 9 novels. I know I can do it.

Have you ever been in s slump like this?  How did you get out of it?  Is it a matter of pushing through the lethargy and just writing something, anything?  Or do I tinker and read and relax until an idea burns through me like a meteor and forces me to the computer?

I've tried the forcing myself method.  I even wrote a proposal for the book and a first chapter.  But I hated it and didn't feel any passion or excitement for it.  An I'm sure that translated onto the page.  So I left that alone.  It'll still be there if I ever feel any fire for the story.

I have an idea for a new story that has my interest piqued, but it's complicated and difficult and I'm not sure I'm a good enough writer to pull it off.  I'm thinking through all the angles on it, but at this stage there is too much unknown for me to start writing.  My main character doesn't even have a name!

So should I feel guilty about not writing anything, or should I just go with it?  When the right story comes, I'll know?

4 comments:

  1. Funny, this happens to me in the SUMMER, lol. I just enjoy the time NOT writing and do all the things you said you're doing. I read more. See more movies. tinker on silly things like re-decorating my blog. AGAIN. And learning by beta-reading and reading books that are AH-mazing. I think it makes me a better writer in the end... At least I hope it does ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know... It could be seasonal. There's no heating in the room I write in, and while I'm willing to bundle up in multiple sweaters and gloves while in the middle of something, it's hard to start when I know I'll be freezing my ass off for the next 6 months.

      Delete
  2. I think you should just go with it. I'm kind of in a slump in one book, taking a break on another, and doing a bunch of other things to keep busy, including a project completely different from anything else I've ever written. Eventually, I'll burn out on that one and get back to the others. It might not be exactly the same for you, but I'm sure you'll figure out how to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a lethargic slump as well. Got editing to do if I want to self-pub my debut novel this Sept. but, God help me, I can't find the wherewithal to do it right now. Got to, got to, got to. Can't. Won't? Afraid to? If so, why?

    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

    We're supposed to power through this stuff, I know. Just keep showing up and doing, even if we do nothing more than type or scribble nonsense for at least 10 mins a day. At least. Primes the pump. But I can't/won't/am afraid to.

    ::sighs::

    May need a drink tonight! :-)

    Good luck getting back on track soon.
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete