Thursday, September 2, 2010

Idea take over

I'm working to two very tight deadlines right now. One of my critique groups is having a novel review frenzy in a few weeks and I am determined to have nailed the rewrite of A9 in time to be included. Plus, our novella project is having its first round of reviews in just over a week, so I need to make progress on that.

So what happened?

I had a brilliant idea for a new novel. It's actually kind of a slant on an idea I've had for a while, but is much better and more fully formed than the vague idea I had before. In fact, whole chunks of the book have appeared in my head, fully formed and ready to be spewed out on paper before I forget them.

Why does this always happen when I'm in the middle of something else? I want to do NaNoWriMo in November, and I think this is the book I'll write, but it's coming to me too fast, too soon. I need to get this other stuff out of the way first. So I guess I'll just scribble down notes as things come to me and hope like hell I can read my writing later. And hope that by November, when I'm ready to sit down and write, I still feel as excited about Tony and Lucy and their unique problems and choices.

For now, I'm back into Angels. I've written 3K in the last 2 days, and think I'm steaming in on the end. I can't help feeling that some of the scenes I've written are too long and not action packed enough, but I guess they can be cut in revision if need be...

No comments:

Post a Comment