Sunday, July 30, 2023

Weekly Goals 31-7-23

 The film festival is on so I'm not going to set myself any writing goals this week - I know I won't hit them.

So far the Festival has been okay.  I haven't seen anything I'd rave about, but I have enjoyed everything I've seen:

 All That Heaven Allowed, a documentary about Rock Hudson.  It was good, but I felt that the ending laboured its point too much.  I did enjoy the way the filmmakers cut in scenes and lines from his films that, in the context, could be interpreted in an entirely different way than I'm sure the writers intended!

Carmen, the directorial debut of dancer and choreographer Benjamin Millepied. This was an odd film that was part romance, part tense border-crossing drama, part ghost story and part musical.  It didn't work 100%, but the performances were excellent and the dancing sensational.

L’immensità, an Italian film about the breakdown of a marriage told through the eyes of a twelve-year-old gender questioning child.  It was a little slow at ties, but the kids were fantastic performers and Penelope Cruz was great in the role of the mother struggling to find moments of joy in a loveless marriage.

More to come this week.  I'm hoping for at least a couple of really life-changing films in what's yet to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment