Tuesday, August 1, 2023

IWSG August

 It's the first Wednesday of the month, so it's time for the Insecure Writers Support Group!

The awesome co-hosts for the August 2 posting of the IWSG are Kate Larkindale (that's me!!!), Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence!

This month's question is a goodie!

Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?

This is something that often happens to me.  Because I don't plot my stories much, my characters lead the way as I write and they often do or say things that when I go back and read the book, maybe don't sit quite right with me for some reason.  For example, in Standing Too Close, my 17-year-old protagonist has a sexual relationship with a much older woman.  I didn't plan it that way, but as I wrote the story, it happened.  And it made me uncomfortable, especially since she was a teacher.

I thought about re-writing that section of the book to take that aspect out of the story, but it didn't really work.  As an abused kid, my MC has a lot of confused ideas about love and intimacy and what all those things mean, and a big part of his journey toward adulthood is learning the difference.  Without that section of the book, the rest of his growth as a character just didn't work. So I've left it in.  For now.  Who knows what might happen if this book ever gets picked up for publication...

I was conflicted about so many things when I wrote Stumped.  A book about teenage sex and disability? The entire concept is controversial and there was no way I could shy away from things that might make readers uncomfortable.  There's one scene in particular that's so outrageous I really wasn't sure I could keep it in the book without losing readers. But it was so in character for my protagonist, Ozzy, that I just had to leave it in! So I did.  And strangely, it's not the scene that most people comment on.

But there are other things I have taken out of books because I felt conflicted by them.  When I wrote An Unstill Life, my first few drafts had a very different family dynamic with a lot of the things that Livvie ended up doing herself being done by an older brother.  I loved him as a character, but his presence in the story was a barrier for the other characters, so I reluctantly wrote him out, even though I was conflicted about whether this was the right choice.  And the book is better for it.  I just wish I'd found another story for him because he really was a great character. Maybe someday...

Overall, I think there are always going to be things you write that you're conflicted about.  But as long as whatever they are, they're consistent with the characters you've written, I think you owe your character the right to do them.  Especially if they're important to the character's arc.  Even though Blue and Jude's relationship in Standing Too Close still makes me feel uncomfortable, I know it's a part of the man he becomes, and that without that, he wouldn't make some of the more mature decisions he makes later in the book.

How do you deal with things you write that make you feel conflicted?


24 comments:

  1. I can see why you'd feel conflicted. But I agree that you have to be true to your characters. Thanks for co-hosting this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I've been conflicted about what I've written and I guess that's okay because we learn new things, grow, think differently at different times. As you said, we have to be true to our characters. Thank you for co-hosting.
    -Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it takes strength to write about things that make us feel uncomfortable. Good for you for keeping true to your story. Thank you for cohosting IWSG this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tackle some tough stuff. With a character named Ozzy, I would expect nothing less than controversy though.
    Thanks for co-hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love/hate those secondary characters who steal the show? Time to give them their own book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. As long as the uncomfortable or questionable scene moves the plot along and is necessary for the character arc, it should be left in. I remember reading a very uncomfortable book in college but every single scene was necessary for the main character's growth and, while uncomfortable, they really did make the MC the person he grew to be. Thanks for co-hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Letting the characters lead the way can get you into some muddy waters, but what a great way to let a story unfold. And as you say, you can always re-write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've definitely written uncomfortable/questionable/conflicting scenes, and so long as they serve a true purpose in the story, they stay. When writing them, I end treating those scenes kind of like working my way into a cold body of water. I inch forward a little bit here and there and wait to adjust before taking another step. Slow and steady finishes the scene...eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, those uncomfortable scenes are definitely hard to decide on. But it sounds like you made the best decision for your stories and characters.

    Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate. I like MJ's reply. I think you handled it right. We have to be responsible for what we write, but we also have to trust our instincts. Thanks for co-hosting, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose what you include or discard has a lot to do with the genre also. Sex and cozies isn't a great match!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kind of don't understand the question. I guess I don't write things I'm conflicted about? If I'm the one who's conflicted and not the character, it seems like something must be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I hit that feeling of resistance within myself, I feel like I'm onto something--a meaty bit of story fodder. So, I stick with it, even when it makes me feel weird. @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you make the change before publication then that's just fine--it's essentially the same as editing. But if a work is already published then I don't think anyone should be tampering with it. Unless it's a matter of making corrections that don't change the essence of the story and that's something that would be because of poor editing in the first place.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Considering I dispense candy with noisy wrappers from my purse in church, I guess I'm not as indulgent with my characters. Maybe I should be ;-) Thank you for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being true to the character can lead to being uncomfortable. Follow your instinct. At the end, when you reread and are into editing, you can judge whether the uncomfortable scene should stay or go. Thanks for cohosting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deleting a character, especially the one you love, is painful. I hope you'll find a story for him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like that character interaction is important to the story, even if it's uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Controversial or uncomfortable stuff in novels is ok if the MCs have the right attitude about it or grow in their arc away from things that are inappropriate.

    Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your analysis is interesting and neatly focused on the characters themselves, how the story develops, and what most effectively develops that story. I enjoyed reading this, and I agree that much of what we right, we later question as we move from drafting to editing. Isn't that the 'fun' of writing? Maybe you will bring back that older brother. Sounds like he still wants to talk to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually had a similar conflict with one of my more recent stories which I talk about in my IWSG post.

    I normally dont plot my stories before the first draft. I like to see where the characters go by their own choices aside from my own beliefs and morals. If a scene gets too obviously controversial or traumatizing I try to modify it in a way where it won't mess up the entire story. But if I try to control my characters decisions too much, the story comes out to stilted and unconvincing.

    Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for co-hosting this month. It can be difficult to write about hard topics but sometimes you have to right what works best to convey what you want to express. I always write the hard stuff but I don't always share it. Sometimes I do share it and people get twisted- their problem not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Staying true to yourself and the characters is important! I hope your brother characters finds a place in a new story!

    ReplyDelete