Tuesday, January 3, 2023

IWSG January 2023

 It's the first Wednesday in January so it's time for the Insecure Writers Support Group!


The awesome co-hosts for the January 4 posting of the IWSG are Jemima Pett, Debs Carey, Kim Lajevardi, Sarah Foster, Natalie Aguirre, and T. Powell Coltrin!

This month's question is an interesting one:

Do you have a word of the year? Is there one word that sums up what you need to work on or change in the coming year? For instance, in 2021 my word of the year was Finish. I was determined to finish my first draft by the end of the year. In 2022, my word of the year was Ease. I want to get my process, systems, finances, and routines where life flows with ease and less chaos. What is your word for 2023? 

I've never had a word of the year before, but I think it's a nice idea.  I like the concept of trying to find a single word to guide everything you do for a period of time.

I think for 2023 my word is going to be explore.  I want to try new things with my writing as well as in my day job.  I want to try out new ways of publishing my work, new ways to get it to readers.  I want to explore new ways of writing because this year I didn't do as much as I wanted to because I felt like I didn't have the time to focus on writing a novel.  Yet I managed a lot of short fiction, some of which was actually quite good.

I want to drag some of those old stories and almost-completed novels out of my hard-drive and try to finish them.  Again, some of them are actually good and were only abandoned because some new shiny idea came along and took over my brain.  So I want to explore possibilities with them too.

And in my day job, I'm new, so there are lots of things to learn and explore as we get through what is going to be a really big and busy year.

What is your word of the year going to be for 2023?

4 comments:

  1. I'd have a hard time coming up with a word for last year and it already happened. I have no idea what this year's about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a word for the year too. Explore sounds like a great one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've picked words in the past and then always completely forgot about them and never wrote them down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have a lot of older stories waiting for you, then you'll have fun exploring where they go and won't lack for something to work on.

    ReplyDelete