Sunday, November 7, 2021

Weekly Goals 8-11-21

 With my film festival schedule pretty full this week, I don't really have much in the way of goals other than to make it to all the films I've booked.

So far, it's been a pretty good festival.

I saw a documentary about The Pogues frontman, Shane McGowan which was excellent, if very sad.  The man is a wreck from drinking and can barely speak anymore.  

I went to the world premiere of local film Millie Lies Low which was great too.  I've read the script a few times for work, and it's always so nice to see a script you enjoyed come to life even better than it looked on the page.  I had such anxiety for poor Millie the whole way through the film!

Yesterday was a double feature with Mass first up.  It's a powerful film, but harrowing.  I cried for about the last third of it.  Stunning acting from all four lead actors.  The tensions was lessened a little by the fact there was an earthquake partway through which took my focus off the screen for a couple of minutes while I tried to figure out if the weird rattling sound was part of the soundtrack or something real.

I closed out the weekend with a classic Rainer Werner Fassbinder film, The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant.  I've seen it before, but never on the big screen.  Marvellously melodramatic.  I remembered there being a really long opening scene in a bizarrely decorated bedroom, but I think must have forgotten that in fact the whole film is set in that room.  It's very theatrical, but once again, fabulous acting from all the women involved.

I have a night off tonight, then back into it tomorrow.

What are your goals this week?

1 comment:

  1. An earthquake DURING the movie? Wow. It must not have been a big one if it was only a distraction. I hope the rest of the festival is less eventful!

    ReplyDelete