Thursday, November 11, 2021

Celebrate the Small Things 12-11-21

 


It's the end of the week, so it's time to Celebrate the Small things...

What am I celebrating this week?

Still celebrating the film festival this week, and next week too.  I haven't been to a lot this week, but both the things I've seen have been good.

I saw Ted K the other night, in an almost empty theatre which was odd.  It's a portrait of the Unabomber that was shot on the land where he actually lived and uses his own words from the many, many pages of writing that was left behind in his cabin.  It was an interesting film that really took you into Ted's world.  Everything was seen through his eyes and his interactions with others were limited to telephone calls in which the other party was never seen or heard, or simple day-to-day transactions.  It was rather unsettling in many ways, even though I think they could have gone deeper and really revealed more about the forces that made this seemingly rational and clearly very intelligent person turn to domestic terrorism.

The other film I saw was a documentary about Poly Styrene, the punk feminist.  It was made by her daughter and in many ways, it was more about the daughter as she struggled to reconcile the public figure with the mother she knew. And it sounds like she was not really capable of being a great mother a lot of the time...

I have a bunch more to see this weekend which I am looking forward to.  I'm also hoping to be able to varnish some paintings, but the weather isn't looking that crash hot.  And the other thing I want to do this weekend is make canneloni for dinner when the whānau come on Sunday.

what are you celebrating this week?

1 comment: