Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A question about sex

As you know, I'm working on a new book.  It's going very well and I'm really loving writing it.  But I'm a little concerned about the pacing and timing of events.  So I thought I might just ask all of you for your opinion on a pretty serious plot point in the book: the first time my MCs have sex.

It's YA.  She's 17; he's 19.  She's a virgin; he's not.  They don't fall in love at first sight exactly, but there is a definite attraction from the first time they meet.  If they have sex 3 weeks after they first meet, is it too soon?  There are mitigating circumstances, but in general, do you think that's too quick?

The general feeling I've gotten from friends and associates is that it's not, but I want to be sure before I commit to keeping that scene where it is.

I'd love to hear your opinions and reasons why it may or may not work, so let me know.  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I say don't be worried if it's too soon or not. In reality, they could have sex the same night they meet. As long as it's the right time for your characters and for your book, then it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Juliana. If it feels the right time for you, then it's the right time. They're your characters, and as long as it's organic and in keeping with that then there's no problem.

    ReplyDelete