Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sparkfest #1



It's time for the Sparkfest Blogfest. so for the next few days, I'll be blogging about the things that inspired me to become a writer. Here's the first question to be answered:

What book made you realize you were doomed to be a writer?

I'd always written, since I was old enough to hold a pencil and string words together, but I'm pretty sure the book that sent me on this path was The Outsiders. I still remember the way I felt after reading it the first time, and have never felt that way again. I remember thinking I'd never be able to read another book because nothing could possibly touch me the same way.

And then I started writing. With purpose. I didn't have the discipline I have now, but I wrote. The novel that became Holding it Together was started around this time, and the one that became Assignment 9 wasn't far behind.

So I blame S E Hinton. And thank her every day for drawing me into this world.

So, which book inspired you to be a writer?

11 comments:

  1. mentioning the outsiders reminds me of a similar book i read when i was young, that was then, this is now. deep and tragic
    nice spark story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was The House at Pooh Corner...oddly enough....nice to meet you, liked your post. Stop by and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book sounds familiar. lol Great spark tale. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Outsiders is WAY high on my stack and every time I look at it, I can't believe I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was little chapter book called "M is for Magic". I'm going to write about it later this week in Sparkfest.

    Today I shared about the person who "Set me off".

    The Write Soil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool entry - though I must admit I haven't read The Outsiders! Sounds like I really should!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An amazing book. No wonder it set your spark!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not read the Outsiders nor seen the movie. *Hangs head in shame* Now I must. I am posting my entry for sparkfest on Wednesday. Hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book also :) What a great spark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally know how that feels - to read a book and think nothing else can touch it. Nice entry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband loved the Outsiders as a kid, and loved the movie when it came out. He recently made me watch it, because evidently I grew up in a cave, and he was like, "I remember this movie being a lot cooler..." Good thing books don't age quite like the cinema!

    ReplyDelete