So, it's time for this wonderful blogfest
. I wonder if Jolene had any idea how hard it would be to find just 5 lines to post! I have been trawling my various novels and searching for the best lines in each. In the end though, I picked five from Chasing the Taillights
because I really think it's the best written of the five novels I've attempted. Interestingly, all five are in chapters from Lucy's POV. That surprised me, because Tony is the more lyrical of the two, and I thought I'd find the lines I loved in his chapters.
So here we go...
1. The words build to a scream behind my forehead, hammering the bone with the need to escape. I’m aware of the woman’s hands coming down to hold my shoulders and realize I’m writhing on the cold blacktop, every movement awakening new hurt. A shriek rises and falls in the distance, growing nearer whoop by whoop.
2. . I’m not sure it was a dream. It felt too real, more like a memory. A fragmented memory, fractured like a shattered mirror, reflecting itself endlessly in the falling shards of glass. Nothing frightening happened in the dream/memory, but dread coats every inch of my skin.
3. I look up at him. The look of utter disgust on his face is terrifying. He hates me. I didn’t even have to tell. He hates me already. Maybe he can see it. It must show on my face. Perhaps the word is printed across my forehead for everyone to see. I reach up my hand, expecting to feel letters embossed on my flesh.
4. She marches me through the mall. She doesn’t seem to care I’m stumbling and tripping over small children, packages and other things that slide into my path. When Mom gets focused on something, it’s impossible to get her to see anything on either side of her beam. I trip along beside her and pray not to kill a toddler.
5. As the week drags on, I grow desperate. When he’s there, the chill coming from him is so intense, I can feel it in my room. I picture the icy waves of hatred creeping under his door, sneaking across the living-room to trickle under my door. At night I have to wrap extra blankets around myself to ward off the cold. Even then I find myself shivering.
YoYou will let me know what you think, won't you?
Such a strong sense of character, even if she does seem a little neurotic (but then, I think we all are a bit) Loved snippets 3 and 4 the most - who hasn't been through those things themself?ReplyDelete
OH, I love number four. There is such a strong sense of who both people are - the mom and the child - in just a few sentences. That, in my opinion, equals TALENTReplyDelete
Numbers 3 and 4 are fantastic but all of them, really, are well done. I agree you get a strong sense of character in such a small span of time/space.ReplyDelete
I loved no. 5. I can imagine feeling those vibes from someone who's angry.ReplyDelete
Wow. Those are incredible. You have a way with words that sucks you in. Loved them all.ReplyDelete
These are all great - but number 2 is terrific. :)ReplyDelete
I really feel #4...think I've done that to my daughter once or twice!ReplyDelete
I wanted to stop back by here because I wasn't sure if you'd go to YAtopia again. I just wanted to say it's funny that you said you wanted to read DIZZY because Jolene (co-author) and I were JUST emailing the other day about how we wanted to read Chasing the Tail lights after reading that kiss scene. LOLReplyDelete
These are fantastic! #2 and #5 are my favorites. Thanks for sharing :DReplyDelete
I really like number four. Thanks for sharing these, I love seeing what parts of their writing writers love best!ReplyDelete
FAB! Though, after reading your last blogfest entry, I expected nothing less ;DReplyDelete
Love that last snippet. I'm a cold person too, so I totally understood the still shivering line.ReplyDelete
I like #4. Great job.ReplyDelete
Well done, well done. Your writing is good. It's clear and filled with imagery. Beautiful.ReplyDelete
WOW! I loved all of them- great imagery!ReplyDelete
I really liked 4 and 5...makes me want to keep reading!ReplyDelete
The Write Soil
I can really feel the chill of this story - great description!ReplyDelete
Lovin' #2 and #4 especially, but these were all fabulous excerpts!ReplyDelete
I reach up my hand, expecting to feel letters embossed on my flesh