Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Books I've Read: Wanderlost

This is one of those books a lot of people I know and trust to recommend books said was great.  So I was excited when I found it at the library last week.

But I just didn't love it.

I kind of enjoyed it, despite really disliking the main character most of the way through.  I guess I just can't get on board with someone agreeing to go on the trip of a lifetime, but be too scared to try anything new.  Aubree's refusal to eat local food, or to get out of her hotel room really frustrated me and that ruined my appreciation of her character growth as the novel continued.

That said, I really liked Sam, and Aubree's relationship with the seniors on her tour was also really well written.  I feel like the attraction between Sam and Aubree happened too fast - a couple of phone calls, then almost instantly they can't keep their hands off each other - but I was prepared to go with it because I knew they had a limited time in which to be together.

So overall, while I didn't love this, there was enough to enjoy.  It didn't change my world, but how many books really do?

But don't just listen to me.  Here's the blurb:

Not all those who wander are lost, but Aubree Sadler most definitely is on this novel’s whirlwind trip through Europe.

Aubree can’t think of a better place to be than in perfectly boring Ohio, and she’s ready for a relaxing summer. But when her older sister, Elizabeth, gets into real trouble, Aubree is talked into taking over Elizabeth’s summer job, leading a group of senior citizens on a bus tour through Europe.

Aubree doesn’t even make it to the first stop in Amsterdam before their perfect plan unravels, leaving her with no phone, no carefully prepared binder full of helpful facts, and an unexpected guest: the tour company owner’s son, Sam. Considering she’s pretending to be Elizabeth, she absolutely shouldn’t fall for him, but she can’t help it, especially with the most romantic European cities as the backdrop for their love story.

But her relationship with Sam is threatening to ruin her relationship with her sister, and she feels like she’s letting both of them down. Aubree knows this trip may show her who she really is—she just hopes she likes where she ends up.

No comments:

Post a Comment