
It's the end of the week so it's time to celebrate the small things!
So what am I celebrating this week?
It's the weekend!
Although, not much of a weekend for because we have concerts tonight and tomorrow night. But in between I plan to do a lot of resting and relaxing because this week has been mayhem.
And seeing some films since the film festival has started. I've only seen two so far, but I liked them both.
Father, Mother, Sister, Brother is the latest film from Jim Jarmusch who I've been a massive fan of since the early '90s. This is an episodic film, three distinct, yet linked stories about familiar relationships. In the first, siblings (played by Adam Driver and Mayim Biaylik who look eerily like they could be related) go to visit their father (Tom Waits) in his ramshackle house in the middle of nowhere. He's a shambling guy, always underemployed and his kids have had to help him out frequently with groceries and household repairs. Yet everything isn't quite what it seems on the surface. In the second vignette, a mother (Charlotte Rampling) is having her daughters over for afternoon tea. Apparently this is the only day of the year they see each other, despite all living in Dublin, so it's a big deal. Again, not everything is as it seems on the surface. And the final piece is about a brother and sister, twins, dealing with the sudden death of their bohemian parents and clearing out their belongings from their Paris flat. I really enjoyed this film. It's quiet, but has the same subtly delicious humor Jarmusch always manages to capture, yet was also quite heartbreaking in all the different ways family relationships can be broken.
Mouse was a pleasant surprise. I couldn't remember what it was about when I went in, and it ended up being a beautifully captured portrait of grief and grieving. Just before going into their senior year, besties Minnie and Callie are dreaming about the future. Callie, the outgoing, exuberant one, has huge plans for her life, while Minnie has smaller ambitions. But when Callie is killed in a car crash, it sends Minnie spinning. Callie's presence gave her life meaning. Who is she now Callie is gone? Alongside Minnie's story is that of Callie's mother, a once-promising concert pianist who gave it all up to be a mother. As she and Minnie deal with their individual grieving, their lives become increasing tangled which may or may not be complicating things as they try to reset their own lives. I liked this one very much and it was a lovely continuation of the themes from the previous night's film, with its focus on mother-daughter relationships.
I have another three to see over the weekend... I'm tired and a little sick, but hopefully I'll make it through them all.
What are you celebrating this week?
No comments:
Post a Comment