Monday, September 30, 2013

Last Day

Yesterday was my last day at work.  It was a weird feeling because I went in, and to begin with, it was just like any other Monday.  I sent off the weekend figures, made a change order, looked at the numbers of people who went to each film and wrote a schedule for the new week.  I wrote a staff roster.

Then I was like....  Huh.  What now?

I had to take all the cinema info off my computer, including emails.  I had to find all my personal stuff that had crept into the office.  I had to hand my keys and all the files off my computer to my boss.

And once that was done, I really couldn't see any point in staying any longer.

Saying goodbye to the staff was always going to be the hard part, but I'd done most of that on Sunday night.  Saying goodbye to my projectionist was the hardest of all.  We've been through so much together, and she has been the most fantastic team-mate in the world.  I know I'll still see her, and all the staff, but it won't be the same.

I thought I'd be able to make it out the doors without crying, but as soon as I stepped outside, I walked right into one of the local reviewers I've worked very closely with over the years, and I burst into tears.

It feels surreal.  I don't think it's fully sunk in.  I keep thinking of things I forgot to do yesterday, then realize it's not my problem anymore.  I don't think it's going to feel real until it's been a few days and I haven't been in.  And I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable going back there.  It's been a second home to me for over 8 years, yet I feel right now like I can't walk through the doors again.

Have you ever been in a situation like this?  How did you deal with it?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Kate, I hope you feel a little brighter in a few days. Sending big *hugs* your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screw work. You're FREEEEEE!!!!! You can do anything you want -- or NOT do things. Appreciate the luxury of being jobless and having oodles of "you" time while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy, geez I've been there too, and it hurts, but after a few days it starts to feel good. You don't have any of the work worries burdening you. Now you can focus on doing something else and maybe even having a bit of off time for yourself:)

    ReplyDelete