Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wallowing

I think I had too much fun in Melbourne last week.  I'm finding it really hard to settle back into real life and even harder to settle back into my writing life.  Usually after even a few days away, I'm champing at the bit to get back to writing, but this time, I'm just not...

Maybe it's because I'm not actually working on anything.  I'm going to start revising Stumped (Ozzy) soon, but I'm not quite ready to start yet.  I need to start querying Sidewalks, but for some reason I'm reluctant to do it.  Maybe because I love this book so much.  I've put so much of my life into it.  I just know the rejections are going to sting.

And I haven't even looked back at Paradise, my NaNo novel that I left near its climax to write Stumped.  And I should do that.  But I think the amount of revision its going to need is intimidating me.

So I'm beta reading for a friend, and critiquing for others.  I guess it all helps, but I'd love to get that rush of excitement that sends me racing to my computer as soon as the kids go to bed again.  And leap out of bed at 5.30am, eager to dive back into another world I've created.

Have you ever felt this way?

7 comments:

  1. I get this feeling at the end of a project, when the next one hasn't fully formed in my head yet. I can't get really motivated about something until I've fleshed it out enough to know it has legs to stand on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that ending feeling is always a weird one....

      Delete
  2. Maybe it's good for you to take a break. Just because you're not writing doesn't mean you're not growing as a writer. Critting others and reading posts about the biz can be really helpful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. And I did write a LOT last year. Maybe my brain's telling me something...

      Delete
  3. I have been like this on quite a few occasions. I feel like such a lay writer compared to you, Kate :D This happens to everyone. It will come back, don't worry. Don't beat yourself up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying not to... But revisions await, so I should get onto them.

      Delete
  4. Have I ever! I wallowed for a good six months after packing up the kids and moving out of state. I made several starts on my WIP but always pooped out. Lately my job has been taking up all my time. Last night I wrote 500 words on my WIP, and I hope it's not another false start. It's a good sign that I'm excited about it again, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete