Saturday, April 25, 2015

V is for Vegetarian

When I was twelve years old, I decided to be a vegetarian.  My mother was not thrilled and told me that if I was going to eat differently than the rest of the family, I had to cook for myself.

So I did.

I had always enjoyed cooking, so it wasn't a huge chore except on the days I got home late after activities and then had to think about what to eat.  And my mother was always harping on about protein and a balanced diet.  Of course she was right to do that, but at the time it was a huge pain in the a**.

I was never a vegetarian for ethical reasons (although of course I understand them), but because I never really liked meat.

I remained a vegetarian for eleven years.  Then I started working as a chef and had the opportunity to taste really beautiful cuts of meat, cooked perfectly.  Little by little I started eating meat again.

Then I met my partner who is a vegetarian and we moved in together.

So now I have a happy balance.  I eat vegetarian at home, but if I go out and want to eat a big hunk of rare beef filet, I do that too.  And I think I'm probably much healthier for it too.

Are you a vegetarian?  A vegan?

5 comments:

  1. Coming from cattle country; I'm a meat and potatoes gal! Though I do enjoy an occasional salad :-) * My grandson thinks adding lettuce to a hamburger equates to putting salad on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a fan of meat either, but if I'm every with my family, I don't have much of a choice. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found a happy balance. I love meat. Had a nice steak last night actually. I can eat vegetarian meals but I'm not a fan of vegetarian imitations of meat like tofu sausages for example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found a happy balance. I love meat. Had a nice steak last night actually. I can eat vegetarian meals but I'm not a fan of vegetarian imitations of meat like tofu sausages for example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone I know has accidentally posted Monday and then deleted it. See you then, Kate!!

    ReplyDelete