Thursday, April 9, 2015

H is for Haloumi

Haloumi is a Greek cheese I discovered a few years ago.  It's also totally delicious and has fast become one of my favorite foods.

Haloumi is usually served grilled, but it can be cooked in a pan or on the barbecue just as easily.  The outside gets a wonderful crust on it, and the inside becomes soft, but not runny.  It has a slightly strange squeaky texture between your teeth when you eat it.

One of my favorite things to do with Haloumi (other than just grilling up a slab and eating it on pita bread) is to use it in fritters.  I grate or finely chop whatever left-over vegetables I have in the fridge (carrots, zucchini, potatoes, peppers, beans, peas - whatever) and throw them in a bowl with a couple of spoonfuls of flour and a couple of eggs.  Once I've stirred that into a thick batter, I chuck a few chunks of chopped Haloumi into the mix, maybe a few sliced olives and whatever herbs I have on hand.  Then I just have to drop spoonfuls of batter into a pan, flatten with a spatula and wait until they're cooked.  A delicious way to use up leftovers or make a quick meal with whatever you have in the house.

Haloumi is also great in salads and can be used instead of a patty in vegetarian burgers.  It's yummy in sandwiches too, especially with some tangy hummus and fresh tomatoes.  Mmmm…. I'm getting hungry now!

Do you like Haloumi?  If you haven't tried it, are you tempted now?

7 comments:

  1. I love haloumi, it does have a strange texture though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We call it squeaky cheese at home :) I love it. I have a couscous salad recipe which uses it and it's wonderful. It's really nice deep fried in batter too - one of our local pubs christened it veggie fish and chips :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haloumi is my faaaaaaavorite! I love to grill it during the summer. Now I'm craving some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of it before. I'm not usually big on cheese, but I really would like to try it. I wonder if I can find it anywhere around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried it, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love trying new cheeses. I haven't heard of this one. Will need to check it out. Thanks!

    Stephen Tremp
    A to Z Co-host
    Twitter: @StephenTremp

    ReplyDelete