Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A is for Avocado, Asparagus and Artichoke

My three favorite vegetables all start with the letter A and since I'm winging it on the A-Z this year, I thought I'd start with something I love.

I love avocados in salads, on toast, as guacamole, in sandwiches and pretty much anywhere else.  Over the summer when they're stupidly cheap, I use avocado instead of butter in my sandwiches.  It's delicious with cheese and hummus and tomatoes.  In winter when they're not so readily available, and more expensive, I miss them….

Asparagus is special because the season for it is so short.  No one else in my house really likes it, so I get to eat whole bunches on my own.  I like it lightly steamed with just a little salt and pepper.  Or with a poached egg sitting on top so the yolk runs over the stalks.  I also make a very delicious soup with it sometimes, with lemon in it to give a little tang.  And of course, you can't really beat fresh stalks with hollandaise sauce drizzled over the top.

Hollandaise is also a big part of artichoke eating.  I like to steam my artichokes whole and dip the bottom of the leaves in hollandaise and scrape off the delicious part with my teeth.  It's messy and you need a big bowl to put all the used leaves in, but when you get down to the soft, delicious choke in the middle, it's all worth it.

What are your favorite vegetables?  Do you have any great recipes?

4 comments:

  1. I love Avacado...tolerate Asparagus...and never had Artichokes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the avocado. I put them on everything I can when they are in season. I just bought two yesterday because I miss them on my salads. They are SO good on sandwiches. :)

    I also am a fan of asparagus. I have never had them in soup! Never had them with an egg either. Two new must tries. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy the fleeting asparagus season. Maybe with a little butter and salt...now I'm getting hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the same three vegetables. So glad summer is near so I can grow my own! Well said.

    ReplyDelete