Thursday, April 16, 2015

N is for Nightmares

I don't often have nightmares, but when I do, they're never really about anything scary.  Yet something about the ambiance, or the emotion of the dreams leave me feeling rattled.  And when I have one of these scary dreams, I rarely forget them.

I can still remember one I had when I was 5 or 6.  It was about the Pink Panther following me around the swimming pool where I had swimming lessons.  Now, there's nothing scary about the Pink Panther, or the pool (I loved my swimming lessons) yet I can still remember how terrified that dream made me feel.

A few years later I had another one about a guy pumping rainbow-colored foam out of the side of the classroom my mother taught in.  Again, nothing scary about it on the surface, yet for some reason, terrifying.

Now my nightmares always seem to be work-related and they're more stressful that terrifying.  I'm usually trying to get somewhere urgently, but for whatever reason, the place I'm going has changed so getting to wherever I need to be is impossible.  Or people stop me to ask silly questions which don't take long to answer, but add up to making me later and later to whatever appointment I'm supposed to be getting to.

Occasionally I dream about the kids.  I remember a particularly vivid nightmare where I was getting off the bus with my eldest son, while my youngest was still in a push-chair.  As I made sure my eldest was safe on the sidewalk, the bus pulled away with my baby still inside in his push-chair.  And everything in the world conspired against me catching up with that bus to get him back…

Do you have nightmares?  Do you remember them?

7 comments:

  1. I have the odd nightmare, but I'm like you, they tend to be more disturbing than horrifying. I've had the odd one about zombies and the like, but they tend to leave my brain very quickly - wake up, roll over, gone. It's the nasty ones that stay and are usually stress induced.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally have nightmares but I don't dwell on them. I do have bizarre dreams though and try to figure them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have nightmares very often. Occasionally, I have one about being haunted or something like that. Of course, this is besides the usual boring, adult-stress nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s officially the second half of A to Z. Time to catch that second wind, rest up on Sunday, then it’s that mad dash toward the finish line!

    Stephen Tremp
    A to Z Cohost
    N is for Numerology

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nightmares must mean something symbolic, coz yeah ... Pink Panther? Not the scariest thing. lol When 'm under stress, I have a lot of nightmares. I'm always fighting with people and am often undressed. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have them often, but when I do, it's usually me dying in some strange way. The last one, I was shot in the chest. I lurched out of sleep clutching my aching rib cage. I don't know if the hubby accidentally elbowed me in his sleep or what. They usually only bother me for a day. I don't dwell on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I have them but not as often as before. Think I'm so tired when I finally go to bed, I dream very little.

    ReplyDelete