Monday, April 13, 2015

K is for Kate

Yes, K is for Kate, which is my name.  So I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself to those visitors who are not regulars to this blog.

Hello! Welcome!

Well, I'm Kate.  I'm a writer, although unfortunately not a full-time writer (yet).  I have a day job in the film business, which means it often turns into a night job as well….  But I love it.  I was a cinema manager for 23 years and have recently moved into a new role in marketing at the New Zealand Film Commission.

So yes, I live in New Zealand at the moment.  I haven't always.  I've lived in Austria, Germany, the UK, the US, Samoa and Tokelau, China and Australia.  I like to travel…  My dad was a diplomat so we moved all the time when I was a kid, and the habit seems to have stuck with me.  That said, I have been in New Zealand for almost 10 years now.  Nothing like kids to keep the travel bug under control.

I have two sons, one partner and a part-time cat I share with most of the neighborhood (but I swear he likes our house best).

I love live music, red wine, bitter chocolate, obscure movies and books that make me cry.  I drink my coffee strong and black.  As an ex-chef, I love to cook and eat delicious food, but don't have as much time for it as I'd like.

Your turn…  Tell me something about you.

7 comments:

  1. So you're an ex-chef and ex-cinema manager - you have a most interesting job history :). I'm sure the cat does like your house best if you like to cook - one of my kitties goes mental over duck.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kate: I'm a writer, filmmaker and puppeteer in the U.S. (State of Wyoming). I was born in California, but our family moved around a lot. We finally settled in Wyoming in 1972. I am married with two children and four grandchildren. My hobbies include playing piano and guitar, cooking (baking especially), watching and writing about movies/TV shows, running, tennis and art (drawing/painting/photography). I also act in plays and sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate is one of my daughters names too. And i'm not a chef, although I like to pretend that I am one.

    Stephen Tremp
    an A-Z Cohost
    @StephenTremp on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Kate! Tell you something about me...? Hmmm... something I haven't already said on my blog, perhaps. OK. As an ex-pat Brit you can probably guess I like tea. However, unlike many Brits, I don't like sugar in my tea, and I only like a few drops of milk. If milk isn't available, I'll drink it black. And I usually keep the teabag in the mug to make sure the tea is as strong as it can be.

    I also like mushy cereal. Coco Krispies (i.e., the chocolate version of Rice Krispies) left soaking in milk in the refrigerator overnight is the best. It turns into a pudding-like consistency. MmmMmm! Makes my wife want to vomit, but I love it. :D

    Not nearly as interesting as being a well-traveled film industry professional in Middle Earth, but there you go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you! :) Sounds like you have an adventurous life!

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
    MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you sound like you have an awesome life. I once worked at Blockbuster for about ten years. It was fun until it went out of business. Nice to meet you! :)

    ~~DJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. AND ... you're an amazingly talented writer, a super-hard worker, plus a great friend! Happy "K" day -- now you're almost halfway through.

    ReplyDelete