Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G is for Glass

One thing I've always wanted to do, but never tried, is working with glass.  I've been to watch glass blowers create their masterpieces a number of times, and every time, I want to learn how to do it.

I know I would probably get frustrated by it.  I'm not a particularly great crafter although I have tried a lot of different things.  Over the years I've done a lot of jewelry making, starting with beads and moving into precious metal casting and basic jewelry techniques.  I'd love to learn to work with glass so I could incorporate my own beads or other glass objects into jewelry.

I love the transparency of glass and the way it can be colored subtly or vibrantly, made opaque or clear.  There is such diversity of objects that can be made with glass.  Not just vases and drinking vessels, but windows and sculptures and in numerous other things.  I have beautiful stained glass panels in my living room windows and I'd love to be able to make my own for other rooms in the house.  I love the way the sunlight beams those colors on the opposite wall when the sun is in the right position.

Have you ever thought about working with glass?  Or had any other dream hobby you've never attempted?


9 comments:

  1. I've never worked with glass or really thought about it, but I imagine it must be amazing to do. Something I've always wanted to try is welding to make art.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glass is like fire - beautiful and intimidating. i appreciate anyone who can create in any medium, but glass takes a special touch.
    i also enjoyed your d & e posts - i love deadlines too, they're very motivating! and we all need to work very hard to expose our books. marketing is def harder than writing the book! happy g day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I think glass is beautiful. The light on glass creates a lovely sculpture. I've never blown glass but I saw them do it in Mexico many years ago. It was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glass is beautiful. It'd be a great skill to have. Although, I'd probably burn the crap out of my lungs and hands.

    Untethered Realms / MPax

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would so love to take a glassblowing class and learn how to manipulate it into art.

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think glassblowing looks awesome, but I'd be terrified to try. I'd be too scared of being burned. Which is too bad, really. Imagine the things you could make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see these guys on TV do it and it's a real art. I wonder how much glass they go through before they can finally begin to earn a living off it.

    Stephen Tremp
    an A-Z Cohost
    @StephenTremp on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today I attempted leather crafting. It was tough on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glasswork is gorgeous! I feel like I would definitely burn myself if I tried to make any of my own, though. Or...I don't know...does glass explode like a balloon if you blow it up to much?? Because that would be disastrous. o.0 XD

    ReplyDelete