Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for Quiet

Quiet isn't something I get a lot of.  I have two sons and they make a lot of noise.  My partner is a sound engineer and is often making a lot of noise.  I work in an open plan office so there is usually quite a bit of noise there too.

And I need quiet to write.  I'm not someone who writes with music or the TV on.  I need to fall into the world of my story and live in it and if there is a lot of talking or background noise, I find it hard to do that.  So I end up writing early in the morning because everyone else is still asleep and it's the only time I get the quiet I need.

And I'm not a morning person.  Not by a long shot. I've always felt that I really wake up around 4pm…  So getting up at 5:30 every morning for the quiet is not an easy feat.

How do you find the quiet you need?

4 comments:

  1. Since I moved in with my partner, it's been lovely and quiet. I'm the same as you, I need quiet to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three kids, and there is something each one of them love to do--so I just schedule those things during my writing time, and they practically drag me to my office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately for me, our kids are grown and out of the house. I am an early riser and enjoy the morning quiet. I also have a home office where I can close the door. I write in silence or with instrumental music in the background, usually Bach or Beethoven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things we must do in order to write, including waking up at an ungodly hour. I admire your determination.

    ReplyDelete