Tuesday, June 6, 2023

IWSG June

 It's the first Wednesday in June so it's time for the Insecure Writers Support Group!



The awesome co-hosts for the June 7 posting of the IWSG are Patricia Josephine, Diedre Knight, Olga Godim, J. Lenni Dorner, and Cathrina Constantine!

This month's question is an interesting one:

If you ever did stop writing, what would you replace it with?

I often stop writing for a period time and in that time I do other creative things. Recently that's been fluid acrylic painting which I have really enjoyed. Here are some examples of the kind of thing I've been working on:


 
I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but that one has a glittery varnish on it. 

This one is among my favourites, but the corners are a bit messy which kind of ruins it for me.












I did this one by pressing the canvas into paint poured on bubble wrap.  Such a cool effect!

But painting is only my most recent writing-replacement hobby.  I also think cooking is very creative and I do a lot of that too.  And in the past I've made jewellery, decorated picture frames and done various other crafty things. And before that, I did a lot of theatre. I'm someone who just needs to do something creative, even if it isn't writing.

Writing ends up being my go -to though, because it's so easy and portable.  You can do it anywhere, any time and you don't need a bunch of fancy equipment.  Just a pen and a scrap of paper.  And if even that isn't nearby, I'll write whole scenes in my head to get them nailed down to I can write them later when I do get need a pen or laptop.

What do you or would you do instead of writing?

7 comments:

  1. I really like the first one. It flows and I love the colors you picked. If painting didn't take up so much space and cause such a mess, I'd still be doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your favorite one a lot too. You're a talented painter. Writing's my thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some cool artwork. I really like the vivid colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your paintings are so beautiful! I love the colors. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely paintings. I also would do some art if I stopped writing, particularly book covers. I make them now, but mostly for myself, almost like visual stories in my favorite genre - speculative fiction. But I would be glad to make covers for other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those paintings are beautiful. I love them.

    Cooking is one thing I can now do creatively if not writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your paintings! I really dig the rippling effect on the red one, edges be damned. I can't stare at it for too long because I start to see faces in it. :-/

    ReplyDelete