Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Insecure Writer's Support Group - 3-4-19



It's the first Wednesday of the month, so it's time for the IWSG!

This month's  question is a good one too.

If you could use a wish to help you write just ONE scene/chapter of your book, which one would it be? (examples: fight scene / first kiss scene / death scene / chase scene / first chapter / middle chapter / end chapter, etc.)

Does it really have to be just one scene?  I have a whole section of my latest book I wish I could magically wish done.  I have a beginning, I have the beginning of a middle, and I have an ending.  I just don't have them all joined up.  And I'm struggling to figure out how to join them.

Which is a fairly constant problem I have, to be honest.  I don't always write in sequence, so fitting the various pieces of a book together is often a challenge.  Especially when I leave projects for months on end to work on other things and come back to a whole lot of fairly disconnected scenes.

So if I could magically wish for one part of my book to be done for me, it would be that joining bit.  The scene or scenes that will miraculously make the connection between the scenes I've already written and make the book flow seamlessly from one part to the next.

It's not too much to ask, is it?

What would you ask this magical writing genie to help you with?

7 comments:

  1. I never really got into writing out of sequence. I often find the most fun is finally getting to the stuff I really wanted to write. It's exactly like the reading experience in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a puzzle where you have to fit all the pieces together. I could see where that would be difficult. I start at the beginning and plow my way through and then rearrange the pieces as need be.

    Good Luck on fitting the pieces together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good answer!

    I like how you have "the beginning of a middle." Makes me think of "the middle of the end" or "the end of the beginning." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that's too much to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need someone to write all emotional scenes for me because I have no idea what I'm doing :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, that sagging middle causes lots of problems for writers. You know where you're starting and where you'll ned, but the road between the two can be frustratingly difficult to work out. Good luck with that part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write out of sequence, usually writing the ending first. I have a hard time fitting it all together too. Somehow it always does work out.

    ReplyDelete