Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Reading and writing

As I work on my revisions, I'm finding it really hard to figure out what to read when I'm not writing.  The book I'm working on is a romance, but it's not a typical romance.  I've tried reading romance novels to get myself in the mood, but they're all too happy-ever-after to capture the emotional tone I'm going for.

So then I went back to the serious, issue driven books I usually read, yet they don't get me to the right headspace either.  And I'm struggling a little to figure out where I need to make changes, and where I don't, so being in the right frame of mind is important.

Maybe I need to go and find a nice juicy horror...  Something so far away from my own work it won't bleed into it.

When you're writing, how do you choose what to read?  Do you go for something similar to your own work?

No comments:

Post a Comment