Monday, December 12, 2011

Progress report...

It's December 13th and I'm 16 chapters through my re-write of The Boyfriend Plague. That's not too bad, but with at least another 16 chapters to go, I'm starting to think my December 24th deadline may be unreachable. Especially since my radial tunnel is so painful I haven't been able to sleep much the last few nights. I may have to step away from the keyboard for a few days to try and let it recover. Even the brace isn't really helping any more.

Which annoys me. I'm on a roll and things are going well. I hate having to stop. So do I press on despite the pain? I have a lot of keyboard time at work too, and not enough $$$ to even consider seeing a physiotherapist, and I'm a little afraid of damaging myself permanently.

Yet the drive to finish what I started, by the deadline, is still there.

What would you do?

7 comments:

  1. Well, when you originally made that goal, you weighed everything that you faced and laid out something reasonable. However, something unforeseen has stepped in the way. There is no shame in changing that goal. You're not giving up. You're just reevaluating.

    And if you need a break there are many other things you can do to help your book along. Read, research, have conversations with your characters in your head. (That happens to me often ;)) You'll still be working on it and making it better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life happens. Health comes first. If you do major damage, it is only going to take longer to finish, not shorter. Take Care of Yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree; health is more important. Try writing a journal entry about how the motivation to write makes you feel. Then, when you're feeling better, hopefully you can get that feeling back again. Look after yourself first though, your characters can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long term health is way better than a goal that could impact it. Take care of yourself first and fix other things later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fibromyalgia, and quite often my hands, wrists and shoulders give me so much trouble that I have to stop writing. It's unbelievably frustrating. But your body is telling you to stop for a reason.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!

    I am going to have to slow down, but I don't think I can stop. I'll never get back to it otherwise... Another book is hammering my psyche, but I can't let it in until I finish with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, what the others said - I would give yourself a rest! Your health is definitely more important.

    ReplyDelete