Tuesday, December 20, 2011

EEEK!

I'm not a scaredy cat, honestly. I'm usually pretty calm and collected. But just now, as I was sitting here, reading over the chapter I've just edited, a spider dropped down less than an inch from my nose. It wasn't a big spider, but one of those ones with long spindly legs. And it was right in front of me.

EEEEK!

I batted it away, and now I'm sitting here with my skin crawling, certain it's going to creep up my leg, or I'll find it crawling through my hair.

EEEEK!

Rationally, I know it's a tiny little spider and it can't hurt me. It's not poisonous. It's not dangerous. It's just.... oooky!

Is there anything you're afraid of that when you think about it, really isn't worth being scared of? The thing that REALLY freaks me out is ventriloquist dummies. I just can't stand them!

4 comments:

  1. Ummm. I agree. So scary! I would move locations. Your spot has been compromised...

    Or...you can name it Charlotte and make friends with it and thank it for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!! How funny! :D I have to confess, I don't like spiders myself. When I was younger I wouldn't even go near a tiny one lol but my wife helped me overcome 'some' of my fear by making me look at them in a glass. She even got me to touch the little ones. Now, I'm not as nearly bad as I used to be. I'll even pick up the big ones with the tiny body and spindly legs and chuck them out the window :D I still don't like the big fat ones though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Australia we had these huge, hairy Huntsman spiders that sometimes came inside. Those ones scared the crap out of me. I sucked one up the vacuum cleaner and chucked the whole thing outside. The spider crawled out and my flatmate's dog ate it....

    Another time my best friend called in a panic because she had two in her hallway. I think we sprayed two whole cans of bug spray on them before they died and we could sweep them outside. OOOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny! I remember many years ago I was at work, sitting at my desk, and my husband called. While I was on the phone with him, a spider dropped from the ceiling and was a few inches from my face, just like what happened to you. I screamed, loud, and my husband got mad for yelling in his ear! We can relate to Little Miss Muffet, huh?

    I think being afraid of the dark is something I'm sometimes afraid of and shouldn't be. Being an adult, it's kinda silly. But the ventriloquist dummies strikes me as pretty funny and would be a great thing for a character in a book to have as a fear! Lots of people are afraid of clowns but you're the first one I've heard that's afraid of those! LOL!

    ReplyDelete