Tuesday, June 4, 2024

IWSG - June

It's the first Wednesday of the month so it's time for....

The awesome co-hosts for the June 5 posting of the IWSG are Liza at Middle Passages, Shannon Lawrence, Melissa Maygrove, and Olga Godim!

This month's question is an interesting one:

In this constantly evolving industry, what kind of offering/service do you think the IWSG should consider offering to members?

I think the best thing IWSG offers is a community. To be honest, I've never used any other service that the team offers (other than sharing book release news), so I'm not entirely sure exactly what services there are. Yes, I probably should have done some research before I started writing this...

The publishing world seems to have changed in the last few years and I think many of us who have been long-term members of the IWSG may not be across just how much and in what ways. It might be useful for the group to address this, bring in some publishing professionals to explain what is happening out there so writers can be better prepared for what publishing looks like in 2024. It feels very different to what it was like in 2014. Especially in YA.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else that might be useful. I love that this community is here and that once a month we all get together to talk about something. I wish I had time to explore more widely and meet more members of this awesome community. Being a co-host is so good for that, so if you haven't put your hand up for this role, it's so worth it!

That's my two cents... For what it's worth.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great idea to have some publishers or other experts explain changes in the publishing industry. Middle grade publishing has been going through lots of changes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can get some guests in do address some of those issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy IWSG Day, Kate! I agree with you that co-hosting is a good way to get around and meet lots of members. I've volunteered a number of times, because it is one way I know I can contribute to our wonderful group. All the best to you in June!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea on the publishing professionals! And yes, co-hosting is a great way to meet some more folks on here. Once in a blue moon I have a free day and visit the entire list to meet some new folks, but it's been a while since I had that chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your suggestion. To have a guest post about publishing realities now would be very useful to many of us.

    ReplyDelete