Thursday, June 6, 2024

Celebrate the Small Things 7-6-24

 


It's the end of the week, so it's time to Celebrate the Small Things...

What am I celebrating this week?

It's the weekend!  And the final weekend of Light Cycles which means I'll get some free time back. I'm so ready to write something!  I don't know what, but I need to write.

It's been a week of rejections this week.  I've had five so far, three on one day even!  That's a bit much.

I've done some work on my query, trying to make the stakes higher for both my girls.  I do wonder if I go too far into the story...  I read somewhere once that a query should only talk about the first third or so of the book, but that seems like one of those rules that doesn't work for every story.  It doesn't work for Guide Us.

After working so much the last few weeks, I'm planning some days off for next week. I have a beat read to do for a friend, but apart from that (and trying to read some of the 800 page Ukranian novel for my book club) I have nothing planned, so hope to be able to get at least one writing day in.  I'm just not sure what I want to work on.  I have a bunch of choices.

1. A Stranger to Kindness - I'm about 6 chapters in, but I'm not feeling obsessed with this story right now and I know it's going to be hard to write. I should just dig back in and I'll probably find my way, but it feels like it's going to be hard...
2. I have a bunch of chapters written of a book about a reality TV show that I found the other day.  Maybe that would be fun to work on?
3. I've been thinking about re--working an old story that I still kinda love as an MG project.  Not sure if I can write MG, but maybe it's worth a shot??  Can you write about suicide in MG?
4. I have two other stories I've written a bunch of chapters for, one about a boy who is abused by his girlfriend and another about a ballet dancer who becomes a stripper to fuel her drug habit.
5. And then there's that finished novel about the child criminal being released with a new identity that probably just needs a bit of editing and polishing up...
6. and finally, there's an old story idea I never actually wrote about a runaway and her return home...

Which do you think I should work on?

And what are you celebrating this week?


1 comment:

  1. Those sound like some interesting ideas. Personally, I want to see what happens with the child criminal.

    ReplyDelete