Friday, September 21, 2018

Celebrate the Small Things 21-9-18



This post is part of Lexa Cain's bloghop, Celebrate the Small Things. Head on over there to join up!

What am I celebrating this week?

It's my father-in-law's 90th birthday today.  That's one of those birthdays you actually want to celebrate.  Unfortunately, his wife, my partner's mother and my kids' grandmother, passed away today.  So it isn't the happy birthday we were hoping for.  She was 87, so it wasn't entirely unexpected, but it's still sad.

But because my mother-in-law (or outlaw as we always called her because my partner and I aren't married) was fretting about the 90th birthday party we had planned right up until yesterday, my son and I are going to make a birthday cake which we will take when we go and have dinner with the family tomorrow night.  Sometimes you just need to mark the milestones, even if you don't make a big fuss over them.

So this week I'm choosing to celebrate life.  When you think about it, a human lifetime, even when it stretches toward a century, isn't that long.  So we have to make the most of it.

What are you celebrating this week?


3 comments:

  1. Kate,

    I'm sorry for your family's loss. It's never easy when someone you love passes. DH lost his last dad this past March a week after his 95th birthday. His mother went on to heaven in 2014. This definitely is sad chapter in our lives. We loved them dearly and they certainly are missed a lot. Life should be celebrated and I can't think of a better time to do that than when someone leaves us. It's good to remember the wonderful way a person left his/her mark on your life. It fills the spirit with love, gives comfort to the heart, and puts on smile on our face. I shall keep your family in prayer, as you learn to cope with life without your partner's mother. May God you each and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss, but also happy 90th birthday. Those are definitely ones to mark since not everyone makes it that far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that. All the best to your family.

    ReplyDelete