Friday, March 27, 2020

Celebrate the Small Things 27-3-20



This post is part of Lexa Cain's blog hop, Celebrate the Small Things. Head on over there to sign up!

What am I celebrating this week?

I'm feeling lucky this week, so I'm celebrating that.

On Wednesday at midnight the country went into lockdown to try and stop the spread of COVID-19.  So for four weeks the entire county, apart from a limited number of people considered essential workers have to stay at home.

Then we were told the CEO of our business had tested positive for the virus.  She worked in the office with us for two and a half days last week during the period she would have been infectious, so all of a sudden everyone who was in the office during that time is considered a close contact.

And then another person who works with me also tested positive.

So I'm feeling lucky.  It's been 10 days since I last saw the CEO since she went home sick, and then we all tested out remote working capabilities for a couple of days (which has now become indefinite) and I have no symptoms.  Apparently if you're going to get it, symptoms generally show up within 4-7 days of contact, but it can be as much as 11 days.  If I'm not sick by tomorrow night, I think I can probably consider myself safe.

For now.

The weird thing about this situation is that my 15-year-old son is now considered an essential worker because he works in a supermarket.  Which means that once my 14-day isolation period is over, he can go back to work.  And once he does that, he'll be at risk of contracting the virus and bringing it home to all of us.  I know they are taking a lot of extra safety precautions at supermarkets, but that doesn't change that there are a lot of idiots out there.  And not everyone seems to be taking this lockdown as seriously as they should be.

But I guess we'll deal with it.  The school holidays started early, so as of today the kids have no school for two weeks, not even the online school they've been doing this week.  I'd rather have him out there being useful in the world, making a difference, than mooching around his room playing video games.

Welcome to our new normal, people!

How are you dealing with the lockdown (assuming wherever you are is locked down)?  Does it get any easier?  It's only been three days and I'm already very over being stuck in the house...



No comments:

Post a Comment