Thursday, June 13, 2019

Celebrate the Small Things 14-6-19


This post is part of Lexa Cain's bloghop, Celebrate the Small Things. Head on over there to join up!

What am I celebrating this week?

It's the weekend!

Once again, it has felt like a really long week and I am looking forward to a couple of days away from work in which I can read and write and get my house in order.

I am heading into the last week of the writing workshop I have been part of and have to supply a query with my pages this time.  Which means I need to write a query...  Haven't done that in a while!

Here's what I have come up with so far.

Seventeen-year-old Blue Lannigan has a plan.  It isn’t great, but it’s all he has: drop out of school, work full time, and the day he turns eighteen he’ll have saved enough to move out of his mother’s crappy apartment, taking his two younger brothers with him.

But when he comes home to find one of them bruised and bleeding (again), the other cowering in terror (again) and their mother drunk off her ass, blaming all three of them for her tanked singing career (again), Blue decides they can’t wait any longer to leave.

Without anywhere to go, they hole up in one of the summer houses at the lake -- just until they can figure out what to do next. But when the owner of the house shows up unexpectedly, things get more complicated.  Especially when Blue realizes the unconscious woman he’s tied up on the couch isn’t a stranger after all.

Standing Too Close is a 69,000 word contemporary YA novel about loyalty, love and family.  

Would you want to read that book?  I have until Sunday to turn this in, so if you have any suggestions on how to make it better, let me know.

What are you celebrating this week?



3 comments:

  1. Wait, unconscious woman tied up on the couch??? I think you're burying the lede here. I think that should be in the second paragraph at least. Why is she there? Who put her there? Is this a kidnapping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Either it's the owner of the house who did this, or it was Blue. We kind of have to assume that it's Blue, and that seems like an odd twist. But I think it's supposed to be the owner of the house. You may need to clarify that. I don't think it's the lead. Unless it's the mother who was tied up. (That would be a neat twist!)

      Delete
  2. That last line alone perks my interest!

    ReplyDelete