Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Weekly Goals.... a bit late

 Yes, yes...  I know it's Wednesday, not Monday.  Monday was a holiday here and we were up at my partner's property on the coast and somehow I just missed my usual Monday post.  But better late than never, huh?

My goal this week is to start querying Guide Us.  I actually sent off a few queries over the weekend, and have already racked up my first two rejections.  Way to go, me!  In case you're at all interested, here's the query.  Give me any feedback you might have. ...

Dear Agent,

I’ve seen that you’re seeking X, Y and Z, so I thought you might be interested in Guide Us, my 78,000 word YA contemporary novel.

Told in dual POV, Guide Us follows 17-year-old Juliet Capaldi as she navigates her senior year at the strict Catholic school she has attended since kindergarten. Juliet re-connects with her former best friend, Iris, who fled St. Ignatius for public school after she and Juliet shared kisses at an eight grade party. Despite trying to deny their attraction, Juliet and Iris can’t resist re-kindling their friendship.

As their friendship deepens, Iris and Juliet struggle with their feelings for each other while grappling with their faith and family expectations. Already under a cloud of distrust from her mother, Iris is terrified of disappointing her again and insists their relationship remain a secret. Juliet, who has already started questioning whether the things taught in church still apply in the modern world, wants to bring their relationship out into the open.

Desperate to prove she’s not the abomination the church tells her she is, Iris breaks things off with Juliet and sleeps with a boy. When she discovers she’s pregnant, it’s Juliet who supports her and shows her she has options. Struggling with guilt, Iris seeks guidance from the church only to be told that if she goes with her heart, she’ll be damned for all eternity.

Guide Us is a story about first love, self-discovery and the struggle to reconcile faith and desire. It will appeal to readers who enjoyed books like Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston, We Are Okay by Nina LaCour and Heretics Anonymous by Katie Henry.

I have published five YA novels with a small press and my short stories have appeared in Halfway Down the Stairs, Residential Aliens, The Barrier Review, A Fly in Amber, Everyday Fiction and numerous anthologies including recent Voyage YA anthology Just Above Water. I am a contributor to writing blog Operation Awesome, offering weekly advice to writers as agony aunt, O’Abby.

Per your guidelines, you will find X,Y, Z below.

Best wishes,

Kate

What are your goals this week?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you are O'Abby. I'll start checking out your advice. I think your query letter sounds good, and you explain the plot well. Maybe you can add one more sentence that defines the stakes more (I know you said she'd go to hell) but I'd like the stakes on a more personal level, like deciding between following her heart and giving up the baby, following her heart and risk losing her family, etc. Good luck with your query.

    ReplyDelete