Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Insecure Writer's Support Group

 It's the first Wednesday in July so it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group!

The awesome co-hosts for the July 6 posting of the IWSG are J Lenni Dorner, Janet Alcorn, PJ Colando, Jenni Enzor, and Diane Burton!

And here's this month's question: 

If you could live in any book world, which one would you choose?

Now, that's a tricky one for me because I'm not really a fan of books set in other worlds.  I primarily read books set in the contemporary world.  Occasionally I read historical fiction, and while the past does fascinate me, I can't think of any other time period I'd really like to live in.  Visit, yes, but live?  I don't think so.  Except maybe the 1920s in somewhere like Paris or New York or Berlin.  I can almost picture myself fitting into the bohemian art scene of the time.  Almost...  But again, probably just for a visit, not permanently.  I know too much about what happened next to be truly comfortable being there permanently.

I've thought about all the fantasy novels I've read and none of them really appeal much to me.  I don't generally enjoy most fantasy anyway, so living in a fantasy world appeals almost as little as living in the dark ages or the depression.  I loved the Narnia books when I was a kid, and the Oz stories, but I don't think I'd want to live in Narnia or in Oz.

I think if I had to pick one world, I'd like to be a vampire in the world of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.  I loved those books when I first read them many years ago, and they are still go-to books when I need to escape the real world for a while.  The vampires may be undead, but they seem to have such glamorous lives and live in such luxury despite it.  Not to mention they're incredibly sensual and sexy even if they don't actually have sex. 

And if they fall out with a friend or companion, they can just make another.  Okay, they have to kill them, but what's physical death when you can be immortal and wander through centuries without losing your marbles? Sounds pretty darn good to me!

How about you? Which story world would you want to live in?




5 comments:

  1. I can see why you wouldn't want to live in a fantasy world if you don't like fantasies. I like fantasies a lot and chose the Harry Potter World when answering this question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're brave, Kate! I've writing a host of vampire romances and have never reeeeally wanted to share a play date with any of them.Now shapeshifters . . . maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really see the appeal of living in another world. This world is difficult enough to deal with.

    ReplyDelete