Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for: The Navigator



The Navigator (1988)
Director: Vincent Ward
Writer: Vincent Ward, Kelly Lyons, Geoff Chapple
Producer: Gary Hannam, John Maynard
Stars: Bruce Lyons, Chris Haywood, Hamish McFarlane, Marshall Napier

In medieval Cumbria, a young boy is plagued by visions. It is 1348 and the small mining village lives in fear of the advancing Black Death. Convinced by his hallucinations that he is destined to save his village, the young boy convinces a group of men to follow him into a tunnel. They dig deep and find themselves emerging into Auckland, New Zealand in 1987.

Following the boy’s portents, the time-travelers must negotiate such strange terrors as motorways and nuclear submarines while they attempt to save their own.

Nominated for the Palm d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, this film won awards at both Australia and New Zealand’s film awards.

I was taken to see this on a school trip when I was about 14 or 15.  At the time, I didn't appreciate it at all and remember writing a very scathing essay when I got back to school about all the people who looked like Baldrick (yes, Blackadder was popular at the time) and thinking I was very clever. I wasn't.



7 comments:

  1. It's funny how we see things differently in our younger selves. Then change our thinking when we're older. Very common. I never heard of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good time travel story! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this is really right up my alley. After I wrangle that agent, I am going to have to lock myself up for several weeks to watch all these wonderful films.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds pretty interesting. I'd love to know why they emerged in New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, but you're clever now Kate! Of course, you might change your mind when you look back at Today You some twenty years in the future. That'd be a scary sight for most of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love time travel stories. They are the best. So much imagination. I would love to see this fim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always fun to remember our past foibles, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete