Wednesday, April 6, 2016

E is for: Eagle vs Shark



Eagle vs. Shark (2007)

Director: Taika Waititi
Writer: Taika Waititi
Producer: Ainsely Gardiner, Cliff Curtis
Stars: Loren Taylor, Jemaine Clement, Craig Hall


Taking cues from Napoleon Dynamite, Eagle vs. Shark is a misfit love story that celebrates geeks in a joyful and infectious way.

Lily has a dead-end job at a fast food joint, no friends and a crush on Jarrod, a video store clerk who doesn’t know she exists. Any wonder she’s depressed? At a costume party, she impresses him with her favourite animal costume (a shark) and they soon become one of the oddest couples you’re likely to see on screen.

Their relationship falters when Jarrod tells her he needs to focus on his martial arts training so he can take down a rival he’s had since his schooldays. Lily refuses to accept this, and together she and Jarrod navigate the hurts and joys that love can bring.

With a kooky visual sensibility to go along with the characters’ quirks, Eagle vs. Shark is a loopy and charming film about friendship, family, love and obsession.

7 comments:

  1. When I saw the movie poster in my blogger feed, my first thought was, "Hey, is that the Flight of the Conchords guy?"

    I will definitely have to track this one down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 0-for-the-alphabet so far, but this makes me wanna be an eagle. Besides getting to soar ... maybe I'd get to hang out with a shark. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds cute! I definitely want this on my to-watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I'm going to watch for this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of this one. Haven't seen it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds adorable. Very Benny & Joon. So far, all these films are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like it's a fun watch! Thanks for reviewing it :)

    ReplyDelete