Friday, April 15, 2016

M is for: Mr Wrong



Mr Wrong (1986)
Director: Gaylene Preston
Writer: Gaylene Preston, Graeme Tetley, Geoff Murphy
Producer: Robin Laing, Gaylene Preston
Stars: Heather Bolton, David Letch, Perry Piercy





The idea that a car can be haunted must have been in the zeitgeist in the '80s because like Christine, this film has a haunted vehicle at its center. Maybe it is the terrifying notion that this massive piece of steel could take on a mind of its own...

When Meg buys a used Jaguar from a shady car dealer so she can visit her parents on their rural farm, she gets a lot more than she expects. Soon after getting it, she starts hearing choking sounds coming from the back seat. Things get even weirder when she picks up a pair of hitchhikers who mysteriously disappear into thin air.

This thoroughly engrossing ghost story toys with traditional thriller tropes and tosses in enough red-herrings to keep viewers constantly second guessing what might be going on. Meg is an engaging protagonist, an every-woman, modest and unpretentious. Yet she is able to dig deep and find strength she never knew she possessed when face with the terrifying unknown.

In its examination of fear and women’s reaction to it, Mr Wrong is far more than just another ghost story.

8 comments:

  1. I've been catching up on all the movies. They all seem quirky and interesting, which is great. This one sounds really creepy. My to-be-watched list is getting longer by the minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I am a sucker for a good ghost story. Although, it is hard to pull off. This sounds promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very intriguing! I'll have to see if I can find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds horribly enticing (see what I did there? horribly? :D )... One reason I'm not a big fan of horror is because of the stereotyped female leads, the "damsel in distress" syndrome—but this sounds like it might be a different cup of... well, maybe not tea. But something ;)

    Thanks for the visit over at Life In Dogs, and sorry it took me so long to come visit you. This April is being rather harsh one me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm putting this on my to-watch list! It sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds right up my alley! I especially like that the heroine is a strong woman and not a screaming teen running from a typical slasher or horde of zombies.

    You may not have time to see the sights in Auckland, but you have time for ice cream! Apparently there's a low-priced gourmet ice cream store called Giapo on 267-287 Queen St. that's supposed to be awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very well written and created. I'm a bit too scared to track this one down.

    Have a nice weekend, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds very well written and created. I'm a bit too scared to track this one down.

    Have a nice weekend, Kate.

    ReplyDelete