Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Y is for You're Next


YOU’RE NEXT

USA, 2011
Running Length: 95 minutes
Cast: Sharni Vinson, Nicholas Tucci, Wendy Glenn, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanberg
Director:  Adam Wingard
Screenplay: Simon Barrett
Cinematography: Andrew Droz Palermo


Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett have proved themselves to be horror whizz kids with such films as Horrible Way to Die and 2 parts of V/H/S.  This film continues in the same dark vein, but provides laughs alongside the screams and bloodshed.

The set up is so simple it could have been pulled from an Agatha Christie novel: a family are getting together at a country house to celebrate an anniversary.  It’s the first time the adult siblings have been under one room in a long time, and naturally there is a lot of bickering, taking sides and jealous glances between them.

When a dinnertime argument is cut short by an arrow flying through the window, killing a husband, the family are faced with a deadly new foe - animal masked invaders with an arsenal of weapons designed to kill with maximum efficiency and bloodletting.

The hero of this piece is, interestingly, the girlfriend of one of the sons, a tough Aussie chick whose knack for dispatching of bad guys and booby traps is startling until it’s explained that she grew up in a survivalist camp in the outback.

Dark, bloody and full of moments that will make you jump in your seat, You’re Next is an indie horror that will appeal to mainstream audiences as well as this horror-team’s already established fanbase.

8 comments:

  1. How have I not heard of this one? It sounds fabulous! I want to see it NOW! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I recognized the name of the movie. Probably the rare horror flick to be featured on this blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not heard of this film, but sounds like a pretty good all-round horror.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing a preview for this in the theatre. I wasn't too sure, but if you like it, I might as well give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes. Just the name is scary! YOU'RE NEXT hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do usually enjoy the dark humor. I may just need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shhhivvvverrr...haven't seen this one, but you had me at Agatha Christie. And then the arrow through the husband.

    I haven't seen a lot in the horror genre, but one film that left me to wake up the next morning as rigid as a board, with my jaw and fists clenched from the nightmare I'd been having, was Funny Games with Naomi Watts. I think it freaked me out so much because it was such a real-life scenario and left the actual horror of the situation raise the tension, not a soundtrack or elaborate editing. Surprisingly terrifying for such a slow burn with minimal on-screen shock and awe. I recommend it for whenever you're in the mood to be royally disturbed...and what's probably most upsetting is that you almost feel like a psycho for wanting to watch...

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of our students commented, "These movies sound amazing. I also can't believe I've never heard of it." Visiting from A to Z Challenge at Learning at Cedar Ridge Academy and Cedar Ridge Academy

    ReplyDelete