Monday, July 16, 2012

Fishing....

I've only just started revising Sidewalks, but already my mind is fishing around, searching for ideas for the next book.  But there's nothing grabbing me.  Maybe that's a good thing.  Maybe it's my brain telling me I haven't finished Sidewalks yet, and that I need to focus on that, not get distracted by something new and shiny.

Usually I'm full of inspiration and story ideas.  They pop up at the most inopportune times, tearing my attention away from whatever I'm supposed to be working on at the time.  But right now, nothing's interesting me enough to want to spend 9 months or so on.  I have a couple of half-finished projects gathering dust on my hard-drive, but neither of the them feels like the right story to tell.

So I guess I wait.  I revise.  And I'm sure a new idea will come.  They always do.  And the Film Festival is coming up.  I almost always find inspiration in movies.  The spark for Sidewalks came from a single line in a documentary I saw back in April.

So while I'm fishing, I'm not counting on catching anything to keep me fed.  That's the best way to ave fun with it, right?

2 comments:

  1. Like any fisherman knows, catching anything takes times and loads of patience. I'm sure something awesome will occur to you at the right moment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in a similar situation. I spent so much time focusing exclusively on my main WiP that now that it's almost done, nothing else is drawing my attention.

    ReplyDelete