Monday, July 26, 2010

Blank

When I started this blog I thought I'd post something every day, but I'm finding I just don't have something I want to share every day. In fact, I've been struggling to think of anything I want to write here for several days. I've been busy, both with work and with writing, and nothing of any real life-changing significance has occurred. I've had a couple of rejections, but after the high of last week's acceptances, I'm not surprised. I don't have a whole lot of work submitted at the moment actually. I've been saving my new stories for contests, so they haven't been going out. In November, when both contests are finished, I'll have a lot of stuff to send out.

I've been trying to work on my novella for the anthology, but am struggling a little to find where I can expand it. I've tinkered around a bit, added a few scenes, changed the timeframe of a couple of events and thrown in a new character whose role I'm unsure of as yet. I hope it will come together soon. I'm hoping to sit down with it for a few hours tomorrow and knock something out.

I'm also hunting around for beta readers for Prayer and Prey. This draft is done and I need some critiques to make it better. My WDC novel groups are great, but it takes so long for people to get through your whole book that if I had to wait for that, it would be a year or more before I was ready to start querying. I don't want to wait that long. One member of one of my groups has finished it, but most of them are still lingering around chapter 3 or 4. I've taken all M's advice, and now I need some from other people. I'll get some print copies made, and a couple of my workmates have agreed to read it, but I'm not sure how much they will be able to help. If any of you out there are interested, just let me know!

I'm beginning to think I might end up sending P & P out before whatever Assignment 9 eventually becomes (I will have to change the title once I've changed the framing story because it won't be an assignment anymore). I'm quite excited to write it. Casey's voice is beginning to haunt me again...

7 comments:

  1. I totally hear you. I cut my blogging way down b/c I was just like, "I don't have anything to say."

    Good luck w/ your book! I'd offer,but I wouldn't follow through, and then I'd feel lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tamara!

    I just have to not feel guilty if I don't blog every day. I figure 3 -4 times a week will do.

    X K8

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm not the only one with blogging problems. My last blog post was from 3 or 4 weeks ago. 3-4 times a week?? I wish! :) My goal is to post once a week.

    Good luck finding a beta reader. I love the review forum, but as you said, it takes time for people to review every chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not that I'm not grateful to everyone in the various review forums - I am! I just want to get a book deal before I'm 40!

    X K8

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, you know we understand. I love the review forum, but...yeah. If it makes you feel better, in either Sept or Oct I'm planning a Review Raid (don't know if you were in the forum last time we had one). It's where I choose four completed novels that have been polished and are about ready for submission and then divide the group up for a great contest to read the entire book. Look for more information as the time approaches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ralene!

    Unfortunately P & P isn't really suitable for the YA forum. But maybe it will kick my butt to do those A9 rewrites before September. It's not really going to be YA anymore, but will have enough YA elements to fit in there. And not so much graphic sex and violence as P & P.

    X K8

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, new here, and would volunteer for P&P read-out, but i live in spain and i guess it would take forever to get, or would you send it via whatnot form virtual?
    anyhows, funny to find another taurus on a random "swans" search...and about the same age...thingies...
    ok, will read up rest of blog, see what up
    and, OF COURSE, one should only write when one feels like writing, not out of some vicious loop-ihaveto de-pressing ring-wrong....
    byers!

    ReplyDelete