Thursday, April 12, 2012

L is for.. language



Language is what humans use to communicate (among other things) and there are numerous different languages each of us use on a daily basis. There's body language of course, which often contrasts with what is being said. You can lie with your mouth much easier than you lie with your body.

There's spoken language, and of course they differ around the world as do written languages. I love that every language has similarities in the things that are said, even if the actual words are pronounced in completely different ways. For example, in English when someone crashes straight into situations or places we say they're like a bull in a china shop. An evocative image, right? Well in German, the saying is similar, but different. In German you say they're like a monkey in a glass factory. Same kind of image right, but slight difference.

Then there are the specific languages within your own tongue that you use on a daily basis. There is a lot of technical language and jargon that is used in my job, which may not be understandable to people outside the industry, yet I converse in this language easily. And that's quite different to the language I use to talk to my kids or with other mothers.

Spoken and written language is quite different too. When I write, I definitely don't write the way I speak, yet both are my own voice.

So yeah. I'm multi lingual. Are you? What languages do you speak?

4 comments:

  1. I'm jealous you're multi-lingual. I just speak English and enough Arabic to get around but not enough to understand Egyptian TV shows (they speak so fast!). I have a Swiss friend who speaks: German, French, English, and Italian. That's so cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really multi-lingual. I speak French (badly) and German (badly), but I speak cinema, writing and Mommy like a pro!

      Delete
  2. interesting how the spoken and written word can be so different:) love learning new languages.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, especially to me because I work with language disorders. It's hard to make many kids understand that writing and speaking are not the same. And speaking to different people requires different language--your principal or your pals--totally different.

    Stopped by from the challenge. Signed up to follow.

    ReplyDelete