Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for...Blogging



I had to really think about what I wanted to blog about for the letter B. Then it came to me: Blogging. I mean, it's what we are all doing here, right?

I was resistant to the idea of starting a blog. I'm a busy person. I work up to 60 hours a week, write two books a year and have two young sons to take care of. And I'm in a couple of very active critique groups and do beta reads for other writers on top of that. Did I really have time to start a blog as well?

Actually, no. But I made time. And after almost two years of blogging, I love it. I've made so many wonderful friends through my blog, not to mention finding some fantastic beta readers! It's also a really good way for me to untie knots in my thinking, or to get advice and ideas from a wide pool of people. My blog has become a place I come to for comfort, solace and inspiration.

I love entering blogfests where I get to read other writers' work and get feedback on my own. I enjoy the sense of community I get from reading other blogs, especially the ones where I discover something I never knew existed. I feel like I have hundreds of pen-pals, all posting regular messages about everything under the sun. And I don't even have to hang out by the mailbox waiting to see if they've written this week.

What do you love about blogging? And why did you start your blog?

6 comments:

  1. Great post. A while back I didn't even think about blogging, or that I could even blog, now it's like a second home (apart from the YA forum :D), I don't think I could imagine not doing it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started as a way to let family overseas know what we were up to, but then found I enjoyed it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an unpublished writer, so blogging is the next best thing to being published, right? Okay, so there's a partial truth in that. The blog is a great medium for getting ideas out into the world and receiving instant feedback. Also, for sharing experiences, and perhaps contributing--and enhancing--someone else's life. Also, as a writer, it's fun, and a great way to hone one's writing skills. And, as you say, there's all the people you meet--blogs you follow, people who follow your blog, and even just people who drop by to leave a comment as a result of a blogfest (hello!). :)

    And I'm sure there are a ton of other good reasons to blog. Sure, it can be a time suck, but on the whole, I think the benefits outweigh the cons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exactly the same way! My blog post for today at Falling For Fiction was an ode to blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having fun meeting all kinds of people and doing things like blog hops.

    Happy Monday!

    My A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been blogging since 2005 and in 2011 started a movie blog. So now I have two blogs and both are in the challenge. I enjoy writing on a regular basis, even if it's just to post a comment about a book or movie that I like.

    ReplyDelete