Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Motherhood

I was with my kids the other day at a huge, indoor play area. It was a wet day and the place was heaving with children and harried looking adults. The noise was spectacular. Yet even through that noise, I could recognize my own son's crying when his brother ran away and left him in the dust. There must have been four or five other kids crying at the same time, yet I recognized O right away, even though he was on the other side of the room.

When my oldest child was born, we were in a hospital room with three other mothers and newborns. I could recognize his cry from the hall outside the room, or the shower from the day after he was born.

I find it fascinating. I can even tell the difference between a 'I'm not getting my own way' cry and a 'I'm hurt' cry. One sends you running; the other just makes you roll your eyes.

Is this something that's in built in mothers?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think it's built in for us. I can always tell too. Motherhood is great, isn't it? Well, most of it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, certainly the good bit outweigh the bad bits.... most days, anyway!

    ReplyDelete